ATTENDANCE AND PUNCTUALITY
Please make sure that your child is at school on time and here every day, unless they are ill. If your child is absent from school please let the Academy office know.
The Academy gates are open for the children to arrive from 8:20 am and they go straight to class .The Academy gates open at 3:20pm for the end of the school day.
For safety reasons please remember to let the Academy office know by 2:30 pm if a different adult is collecting your child.
At Harris Primary Academy Peckham Park we have high expectations of attendance from all pupils. We strive for every child to be in school every day. Regular attendance is essential to ensure children reach their potential both academically and socially.
Children's attendance will be celebrated in a variety of ways.
There will be certificates and prizes for children who achieve 100% attendance for 1, 2 or 3 terms.
AUTHORISED AND UNAUTHORISED ATTENDANCE
- It is the parent / carer responsibility to inform the Academy by calling or emailing as soon as possible on the first day of a child's illness, followed by a letter explaining the reason for absence on the child's return. If an explanation is not received,the absence will be recorded as unauthorised and will remain on a pupil's attendance recorded permanently. This continues throughout their time in primary, secondary and further education.
- All absences due to an illness, over two days in length may be required to be supported by medical evidence e.g appointment card, copy of prescription etc. (This can be shown/copied at the Academy office)
- For planned medical absences to be authorised a copy of the planned appointment letter must be given to the Academy in advance for the appointment.
- The DFE attendance advice published in November 2013 states:
"Principals should only authorise absence in exceptional circumstances. If a Principal grants a leave request, it will be for the Principal to determine the length of time that the child can be away from school."
To this end, there will be no authorised leave given to children for holidays or travel during term time. Such leave will be marked as unauthorised and the matter will be referred to the EWO who has the authority to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice.
- Absences are held on children's records, reported at the end of the year to parents and the accumulated totals collated by the DFE.
- When a child is absent due to vomiting and/or diarrhoea, please ensure that he/she is symptom free for at least 48 hours before returning to school.
Gate Opened Gate Closed Late Unauthorised Lateness
8:20 am 8:30 am 8:54 am 8:55 am
Children need to be in school before the gate closes in order to receive a present mark in the register. If children arrive after the gate is closed, they must go to the office and will be entered into the late book and receive a late mark. If children arrive after 8:55 am they will receive an unauthorised attendance mark. Persistent lateness is disruptive to the class, which can be distressing for the child and can affect learning as much as absence.The Education Welfare Officer may also identify and investigate persistent lateness.
For children who fail to achieve expected levels of attendance, parents will be informed by phone or in person, with a view to providing support and advice to improve their attendance.
Every absence or late arrival at school means crucial learning time is lost.
Attendance during one school year Means this many days absence in one academic year
95% 9 Days
90% 19 Days
85% 29 Days